.htaccess config help

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 21:27:19 MST 2010

Another question.

I've been looking around for a solution to a need I have with my .htaccess configuration.

I would like it to be intelligent and have the same .htaccess file work on my test server and on my hosting account.

A little background -  I have a Fedora box on a private IP that I use as a LAMP dev box.  In my windows host file I have a number of lines that are like this :

192.168.1.20 somedomain.dev .

The IP of the dev box is 192.168.1.20.  In the httpd.conf file I have a vhost setup for somedomain.dev.  So when I enter somedomain.dev into the address box of my browser I see my dev server's output for that test site.

So what I want to do it take an .htaccess that is similar to this:

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.somedomain.com/

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
rewriteCond %{http_host} ^somedomain.com
rewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.somedomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3,9}\ /index\.php\ HTTP/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.somedomain.com/ [R=301,L]

--

So in a nut shell I would like to have the .htaccess work on both servers so that on my local dev box it would know that somedomain.com would actually be somedomain.dev and in the production environment it would know that the TLD is dot com, not dot dev

Thanks in advance!

Keith Smith