Managed server w/o a control panel.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 15:43:28 MST 2010

Hi again,

I have been offered the opportunity to rent a managed server for what I think is an exceptional price from a data center I have been working with through a client.  I have known these guys for about 3 years.

I'm not sure I have the time to take full advantage of this server.  I would serve out several of my sites and use it for a number of parked domains.

My question is if I were to run the server bare mettle, w/o a control panel such as whm/cpanel, would this be a good learning experience for a LAMP developer who does some server admin from time to time?

The two areas I have had difficulty with are 1) configuring a mail server, 2) configuring Bind.

I currently have my main site at GoDaddy and my parked sites are on a reseller account at HostGator.  I would move all of them onto this managed server.

Of course this means I'd be pestering all of you all the time about almost everything.

What are some of the things I should consider?  And would you recommend this based on the questions I have been asking lately?

Thanks!

Keith Smith