System crontab

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 06:59:07 MST 2010

Most modern Linuxes also have a facility to all files in a directory.  These
Linux versions will usually preload your crontab to run at a different
directory every hour, day, week, or month.  Usually, these directories are
called /etc/cron.daily for the once per day, etc.

If your system is so equipped, simply placing a running script, with execute
permissions on the appropriate folder, will cause the script to be added to
the rotation.  If its important, be aware that run-parts runs files
alphabetically.

Once the file is put in one of these directories, cron will automatically
find it, no need to mess with a crontab file at all, and since run-parts is
executed from the system crontab, everything is run as root.

HTH
Kevin