RRe: How to report Internet Abuse

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Wed Jul 28 11:12:11 MST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> that was really a good post!

If this is real abuse, you can always complain to the admin of the IP
superblock - IANA -> ARIN -> GlobalTelecomHolding ->
SmallerGlobalTelecom -> .....   find out who manages the block of IP
from which you are getting attacked - it's their client, maybe they
can control 'em.    I don't know if this works anymore - without legal
papers.  ymmv

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM, gm5729 <gm5729 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can't stop a server from hitting you. It's impossible.
>>
>> You can stop it from getting into your network.
>>
>> Three quickies are a proper IPTables
>> A new invention called hosts.allow/hosts.deny. You can block whole
>> countries this way. I have about a dozen that I do.

so which parts of the planet do you block? or do you subscribe to a
RBL?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSBL

>> Making sure your first line of defense -- the router is configure
>> properly. Mine basically has a hosts.allow/hosts.deny function on it
>> so I use it.

it is a good idea to put yourself in hosts.allow before adding
anything to hosts.deny.