Running Tar from a Shell Script.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 13:54:17 MST 2010

Hi,

If I run "tar -czf /backups/my-backup-$(date +%Y%m%d).tgz /work/dev/" from the command line, less the quotes, it runs just fine with the exception of the one message that says "tar: Removing leading `/' from member names", which I am not sure exactly what that means.

If I create a shell script with two lines, as follows:

  #!/bin/bash

/bin/tar -czf /backups/my-backup-$(date +%Y%m%d).tgz /work/dev/

I get the following output:

: command not founde 2:
/bin/tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/bin/tar: /work/dev/\r: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
: command not founde 4:

I am not sure why these errors.  Any help is much appreciated.

Keith Smith