The inevitable eventual cost of computers.

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jul 27 13:02:00 MST 2010

From: Daniel Stasinski <daniel at avenues.org>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Wayne Davis
>> Until linux becomes MUCH more plug & play, the
>> "average" consumer will balk.
> the conclusion we both came to is that Linux will never be accepted
> until it *IS* Windows.

Pretty much.  Most people tend to learn one way of doing things, then blindly
follow that way and never question it or think of how it could be improved.
They they freak out when something they don't expect happens.

> In the last couple of incarnations of my choice of distribution, every
> piece of random hardware I've plugged in has been plug and play.

That's pretty good, actually.  I usually find that there's something (a piece
of really new hardware, usually) that just doesn't work, and I either have to
fool around with it or upgrade the kernel.

> For the Windows "Power User," it's probably a good idea to stick with
> Windows, but for almost everyone else, I think Linux is ready for 90%
> of modern computer users.

When I was in tech support, the people who described themselves as "power
users" were almost always completely clueless about far too many things.

Is Linux ready for 90% of users?  Not sure.  I'd say it's definitely there for
web/mail/office tasks, and probably there for watching movies.  Games... not
so much.  There are a ton of gamers out there who MUST HAVE StarCrack II, and
as long as stuff like that is on Windows and not Linux, there will be a huge
installed base of Windows boxes.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows