use web page as screen saver?

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:01:14 MST 2010

well i know if you mess with things enough you can get a basic X up
and running and have it do nothing but Firefox so the screensaver is
irrelevant. and for hardware, depending on how much tinkering you want
to do with an enclosure, old laptops might be an idea of where to go.
you can probably find them for less than 100, cannibalise the internal
parts and work from there.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Matt Graham wrote:
>
>> From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
>>>
>>> Getting software to display a series of images seems like
>>> no problem.  I find lots of options there.  But I'd also like to
>>> sometimes display a web page, so (for instance) I can see the weather
>>> report from 7-8 am while I'm getting breakfast.
>>>
>>> I think I can probably do this with xscreensaver hacks, but I haven't
>>> come across anything specific yet.  Anyone know of any tutorials for
>>> displaying a web page as screensaver content?  (Or some other way to
>>> get a web page displayed full-screen, without any window chrome at all.)
>>
>> "firefox http://example.org/", when the firefox process has started, use
>> xmacroplay to simulate an F11 keypress for "kiosk mode".  There's probably
>> better way.  This is just what I thought of off the top of my head.  You
>> could
>> also use wmctrl to hide the window and keep the process running, which
>> would
>> be better than stopping/restarting a heavyweight process if you want web
>> pages
>> displayed at various times.  ISTR an xscreensaver module that grabbed
>> JPEGs
>> from random places on the Net and displayed them, but that's just slightly
>> less complex than rendering HTML+CSS.  If the pages you need to display
>> aren't
>> really complex, they might look OK in dillo or the GUI version of links,
>> but
>> you'd have to test that out first.
>
> Those are exactly the kinds of ideas I was hoping for.  Just some places to
> start exploring.  The fullscreen-firefox idea seems the most promising,
> since I can easily create PHP/Ruby/bash/Python/whatever scripts to make it
> do what I want.  That seems preferable to learning the config syntax for
> xscreensaver or other.
>
> I will document how this all goes if/when it actually happens.  Gotta get
> the wife to sign off on the hardware purchase, but since it involves showing
> her more pictures of the kids, the odds are better than normal. :)
>
> alex

Stephen