use web page as screen saver?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jul 27 07:51:17 MST 2010

From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
> Getting software to display a series of images seems like
> no problem.  I find lots of options there.  But I'd also like to
> sometimes display a web page, so (for instance) I can see the weather
> report from 7-8 am while I'm getting breakfast.
>
> I think I can probably do this with xscreensaver hacks, but I haven't
> come across anything specific yet.  Anyone know of any tutorials for
> displaying a web page as screensaver content?  (Or some other way to
> get a web page displayed full-screen, without any window chrome at all.)

"firefox http://example.org/", when the firefox process has started, use
xmacroplay to simulate an F11 keypress for "kiosk mode".  There's probably a
better way.  This is just what I thought of off the top of my head.  You could
also use wmctrl to hide the window and keep the process running, which would
be better than stopping/restarting a heavyweight process if you want web pages
displayed at various times.  ISTR an xscreensaver module that grabbed JPEGs
from random places on the Net and displayed them, but that's just slightly
less complex than rendering HTML+CSS.  If the pages you need to display aren't
really complex, they might look OK in dillo or the GUI version of links, but
you'd have to test that out first.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows