How to report Internet Abuse

Jason Holtzapple ml at bitflip.net
Mon Jul 26 12:21:43 MST 2010

On 07/26/2010 12:10 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I have a server running a school newspaper site. I keep getting hit from
> a server in Belgrade with a bad request, which creates an error and
> causes my database to grow by 1MB/hit. I am trying to track down the bug
> in the database, so my question is really about getting the guy to stop
> hitting my server with this request.
>
> The IP for the request is 212.95.54.48, and I think it is a spider as I
> get other requests from this IP for my site map, contacts page, etc. I
> looked up the IP and I got this from Whois:
>
> What is the best way to handle this? Send an email to abuse at inferno.name
> <mailto:abuse at inferno.name>, or am I just inviting more abuse? Is there
> a way for apache to block these addresses before it hits my site (apache
> is in front of a plone/zope combination)? I have a robots.txt file at
> the root of my site...

You can block this at your gateway router, your server's firewall
(iptables), or in apache's configuration file. See the Allow and Deny
directives: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html

Personally, I've never had much luck with abuse addresses except with
large reputable companies.