Problems with home server

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jul 26 12:01:14 MST 2010

From: "Bryan O'Neal" <Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com>
> So I was thinking I would just run a quick fsck and see what turned
> up. I can get into single user mode no problem, but I cannot [umount]
> the main partition?

It's pretty much impossible to umount / while the system is running, for
reasons which should be obvious.

> umount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol100 -f

I Think You Meant "mount / -o remount,ro" from single-user.  That'll remount /
read-only, at which point you can fsck it.  (And which bonehead at Redhat
decided to name VGs and LVs using numbers and camelcase?  Use lowercase and
short descriptive names; that makes things much easier when you have to do
maintenance.)

> And yes the drive is encrypted using the red hat / fedora standard
> encryption.

When whole-disk encryption goes wrong, it's a total PITA to fix AFAICT.  I'd
put the really sensitive data somewhere like /home or /data , and just encrypt
that partition or LV.  That way, when it all goes pear-shaped, you have a
better chance of the stuff in /, /usr, and so forth still being usable.  But I
don't need "complete paranoiac"-level security for most of my stuff....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows