How to examine the contents of a CD/DVD in the drive.

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jul 24 12:07:34 MST 2010

From: joe at actionline.com
> What utility can one use to examine the contents of a CD or DVD in
> a drive?  Sometimes I've left an unlabeled CD or DVD in the drive
> and I can't remember or don't know if it is blank, an iso, a

"cdrecord -toc dev=/dev/NNN" will print out the table of contents on the
CD/DVD that's in /dev/NNN .  If it's a blank, the TOC will be empty.  If
there's something on the disc, it'll have at least one track, multiple tracks
if there are multiple sessions or it's an audio CD.  No idea what you'd get
for a defective disc.  It'd probably vary with the exact defect.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows