WINE ON KEYBOARD

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jul 24 12:02:38 MST 2010

From: Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>
> Take apart the notebook enough to remove the keyboard.

Find the Fine Manual for that machine first.  Sometimes it's totally not
obvious how to remove the keyboard, and the Fine Manual generally tells you
how to do that.

> Wash the keyboard in warm water.

DISTILLED water.  Temp really doesn't matter that much AFAICT, but there's
less crud in distilled water, and you want as little crud as possible in the
parts.

> Dry the keyboard in the AZ sun for a day, maybe two.  Longer if
> not in the sun.

12 hours should be fine considering the low humidity here.  24 hours in MI,
because it's so much more humid there.

> Or, instead of all that, buy a replacement keyboard from eBay or a
> repair shop.

Try washing it out first if you have more time than spare money.  FWIW, I had
this happen with orange juice and a desktop keyboard 6 years ago, and the
distilled water + 24 hours drying time worked perfectly.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows