what is this strange link

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:18:09 MST 2010

Joe,
Given what I found below, it does not seem worth the effort especially since
it would have to have an email account to send it to or I cloned the email
files and installed Thunderbird there.

Joseph,
Good idea.  Turns out that text only occurs in the link itself.  I even
tried searching for a few substrings from it.

Lisa,
Gulp! Umm, OK.  Clicking on it (a bit less worrisome since I am in linux)
popped up a dialog box entitled External Protocol Request which contained a
question mark in a chat bubble followed by the text:

An external application must be launched to handle about: links.

> Requested link:
>
> about:blank
>
> Application: <Unknown>
>
> If you were not expecting this request it may be an attempt to exploit a
> weakness in that
> other program. Cancel this request unless you are sure it is not malicious.
>
> |_| Remember my choice for all links of this type.

with buttons for Cancel and Launch Application.

So I am thinking there might have been some potential malware attached at
some point but somewhere, somehow, something stripped it off.