(ALTERNATIVES) How 'rsync' two in a script with one password?

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 12:31:11 MST 2010

> Subject: Re: (ALTERNATIVES) How 'rsync' two in a script with one
>        password?
>

>> One way to "provide the password once per connection" is using sshfs:
>>
>> sshfs user at remotehost:/path/I/care /where/I/want/it
>>
>> Give your password and the mount will persist until either machine is
>> booted or the connection dies.
>>
>> Now you can:
>> rsync -[all I want] /path/to/save/ /where/I/want/it
>
> Thanks ET. While I plan to try to set up the key based authentication that
> Bryan explained, this sshfs looks like a good alternative. However, I
> don't quite understand the sshfs example, especially the "/path/I/care"
> part and all the rest that should follow on the sshfs line. How would I do
> that in the example that I originally provided?
>
> # update.blue
>
> sshfs (what goes here?):/(what goes here?)/ (what goes here?)
>
> rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/upquick/
> vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/upquick/
>
> rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/zip/ vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/zip/
>
> rsync -avHp --progress /home/joe/mydata/av7/ vsiq at box5.bluehost.com:www/av7/

> End of PLUG-discuss Digest, Vol 61, Issue 17

SSHFS is a fuse based which means controlled by userland network-like
drive that is placed on your desktop. Whatever you drop in the icon
will transfer to the guest machine. It is a great option if you have
small amounts of data because it uses a file manager. I don't
recommend GUI's for long term backup solutions because of cache
issues, tmp file isses and corrupted files as a result. You have NO
way to track its progress reliably. In CLI environment you can tell
exactly where you are at all times and if there is a failure recover
from it easily with rsync without corrupting data. This method also
usually tends to gain faster bandwidth speeds and complete quicker.

vp

Remember it's not that we have something to hide, we just have nothing
we want to show.
---Keep tunnelling.