Syslog question

Bryan O'Neal Bryan.ONeal at TheONealAndAssociates.com
Mon Jul 12 15:25:54 MST 2010

I hope no one makes me hand in my linux geek card on this one but...
I am setting up a remote syslog server to collect information from
various routers across my network. I can prepped local0-7 to the
syslog information and thus direct it to an appropriate log. However I
have set up only one and I am having trouble. While it does go to
/var/log/my.router.log all the information is also going to
/var/log/messages

How do I stop the duplicate messages? This server is a "comprehensive"
<haha> monitoring server so I have a number of applications writing to
var/log/messages and I don't want to have to hunt through a tun of
router traffic if I have problems.