Oops: Hmmmm? VirtualBox doesn't like Intel?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 17:19:38 MST 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:10 PM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com
<kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
> After reading some of the answers (thanks!), I realized that I have an
> ambiguity in the description of my problem.
> What happens is that the GUEST (Win XP) maxes out its processor (as reported
> by the WinXP task manager) on Intel, but works fine on AMD.
> The host (*Ubuntu 10.04), on the other hand, seems unaffected and runs OK on
> either brand.
> Again, THANKS!   :)
> ET

Question: does your particular Intel CPU have the "VTx" hardware
virtualization extensions?

A lot of the lower-end AMD chips have AMD's equivelent, "AMD-x".  Way
too many lower-end Intel chips don't, even when they're in the same
price range or even above the AMD chips that do.

I have a low-grade Intel "Pentium dual-core" chip that lacks VT-x.
Drives me nuts.

Jim