OT: (or is it?) Interesting take on PKI and security

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 00:09:46 MST 2010

On 7/1/10 6:36 PM, Mike Schwartz wrote:
> Interesting take on PKI and security
> http://www.schneier.com/paper-pki-ft.txt
> a favorite take-away quote, from it:
> "[...] security is very difficult, both to understand and to implement."

The biggest problem with security is that most (nearly 99%) do not
understand it,
the reasons for it or how to implement and use it. Those few that do can
largely be counted
as a very small number (less than 1,000) in the entire field and a lot
of them spent
years leaning how.

I personally know enough to know I *really* don't know nearly enough
(and perhaps just enough to
keep the honest people honest and that's about it).

as for the 2 models presented, each has its own Achilles heal.