Rotating apache logs

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Thu Jul 1 14:50:37 MST 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:

> Thanks Shawn. Do you still use cronolog? If not, what are you
> presently using?
>
> I'm also wondering, does cronolog allow me to rotate logs without
> renaming every one? I'd like them to keep the same name so that they
> don't get backed up repeatedly with rsync each time the name changes.

No idea about cronolog, but the logrotate program allows you to use a
date-based extension for your rotated files, rather than the normal
blah.log.1, blah.log.2, etc.  Use the 'dateext' keyword in your
logrotate.conf file.

"dateext: Archive old versions of log files adding a daily extension
like YYYYMMDD instead of simply adding a number."
http://linux.die.net/man/8/logrotate

alex