EXTREMELY OT: Meshal v. Higgenbotham - Amended Complaint

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:21:35 MST 2010

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:57:07 -0700
> From: Technomage <technomage.hawke at gmail.com>
> To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: EXTREMELY OT: Meshal v. Higgenbotham - Amended Complaint
>
> I know this is not linux related in any way, but it does beg the
> question: will our government start to look at us
> (the free software/open source) as a possible threat, especially if we
> protest their actions involving closed source
> materials. again, I stress this isn't linux related but we should be
> aware of what "illegal actions" our government
> is perpetrating against even its own citizens. If they are willing to do
> this, what else are they willing to do?
>
> this all started in early 2007 and the complaint (see the link) was
> amended on may 10th this year:
> http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/2010-5-10-Meshal-AmendedComplaint.pdf
>
> as a last note: I don't do this to offend, but I felt this should be
> brought to our attention (as a public forum).
> private comments to me are welcome (especially if we don't want an
> in-list flame war over this).
>
> thanks.

This is not only OT it also has nothing to do remotely with the US
Govts stance on Free Software at all and how it sees those  using it.
Beyond the college student, what was it a couple years ago whos
equipment was seized because he had mulitple OS's or whatever it
was... the RIAA/MPAA have colleges so locked down ANY forms of an
application of bit torrenting are ILLEGAL. What a crock of bull%^%!
They just carry the weight of threatening to want to sue those
institutions.

I'm sure in the US being held for questioning has time limits. But ah,
the regular questioning is usually theives, murderers, etc... NOT out
right treason and conspiring with the enemy. Miltary Law which is what
your article falls under and capturing enemie or potential does not
carry the same rules and weight as civilian on US soil. Technically,
if they found enough evidence.. He could have been summarily shot..
end of issue for treason.