Looking for a mentor/adviser

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Sun Jan 31 19:49:16 MST 2010

Craig,

	We obviously don't agree. I followed those examples and they didn't
work. They were not easy to follow nor did they make the process easy to
understand, perhaps you are using your experience to draw from, which I
don't have. You also say I didn't need LDAP or Kerberos, that's pretty
arrogant when you didn't know why I selected them in the first place, yes it
may be possible to make it work without them, but my decision was to use
these components and that's when everything went wrong. You are free to sing
the praises of Samba, maybe someday I will to. But for know I know I can't
do it from the documentation and I needed help. My statements stand as facts
from my experience, and you were not there, nor have you considered my
explanation beyond defending your opinion, which is not right or wrong, it's
your opinion.

I needed LDAP and Kerberos to handle the users and credentials, you may have
decided not to integrate user accounts, but for me it was essential and I
have no idea how you would do that without LDAP. I use Kerberos for my
windows network, so it stands to reason I would use it on this Samba server
residing in my network, heck it's even in the manual. I stated in my
explanation where it went wrong, deciding that I'm wrong by doing it
differently is not the same thing. I have a Linux based firewall that uses
LDAP to authenticate users for access, works like a charm, so I've had some
experience. My users should not have to re-authenticate every time they
access a file, and caching credentials separately means I have to change
them every time somebody changes a password, so I think you over simplified
the problem. What I did wrong was not knowing what I was doing with Samba
and trying to do this on a production network, because I thought I
understood what I was doing.

[Samba 3.x cannot participate as a domain controller on an AD domain.]
[Documentation is quite clear. But it is relatively simple and benign for]
[it to join an AD domain as a member server/workstation. It works, it's]
[relatively simple and it is not hazardous to an AD domain whatsoever.]

Chapter 4 of the Samba documentation states multiple times the need to LDAP
to function completely, it does say it can work without - but at a loss of
functionality, i.e. Single Sign On (SSO). It also talks about it's ability
to work with NT4, but shows some caveats in 200x AD without additional
components, and several warnings about potential problems with
configuration, So I can point to where my information came from, and why I
chose to use the elements. I remember now that the use of Winbind was also
part of the process with LDAP so that should also be an element into my
failure.

Chapter 4 - "Domain Controller Types" and "Preparing for Domain Control"
explain that it CAN function as a domain controller, and how. You may want
to visit that section, and see where I got my information.

I followed the documentation as best I could with the information I had, and
it didn't work. If you can make it work differently, bravo! You are a better
man than I, but then I already admitted I couldn't do it.

[I think your statement 'Samba's documentation admits issues with non NT4]
[AD implementation and promises to fix it in V4' is completely flawed.]

 I request you go to samba.org, click Latest News, and read the entry for
December 25, 2009. Covers the added functionality promised in V4, so I
believe I accurately paraphrased that article. Chapter 4 speaks volumes
about limits and potential issues with implementation and the need for
specific planning to minimize or avoid these issues.

Sean Parsons