Project Update

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Sun Jan 31 10:11:48 MST 2010

Since, so many wanted my project to be posted for the benefit of all, I'll
start be defining what our first steps are going to be. I had an opportunity
to sit down and discuss my goals and get some advice, so this is how we have
decided to proceed:

                Goal: Build as much functionality based on Linux into an
existing Microsoft SBS 2003 network to provide redundancy and eventually
alternatives to future Microsoft products.

Justification:  I would like to avoid having to replace infrastructure
because Microsoft has decided I need to upgrade. I would like to make those
choices based upon our needs and current usage.

                Phase 1 - Tasks

1.       Since Small Business Server 2003 is the critical piece and has the
most requirement.  I will be building a dedicated test box with full
functionality to be part of the sandbox. It will have the OS, Exchange, SQL,
Sharepoint, and a simple 3 user domain. This will be loaded on a Dell Power
Edge 850 with 3GB Ram and dual 250GB hard drives mirrored to raid 1. I'll
use a single NIC.

2.       I will be loading CentOS V5.4 on a Dell Optiplex GX270, Samba will
be loaded on this platform. System has 512Mb RAM and 80GB hard drive.

3.       I will be loading CentOS V5.4 on a Dell Optiplex GX270,
QmailToaster will be loaded on this platform. System has 512Mb RAM and 80GB
hard drive.

4.       A 24 port 1Gb Ethernet switch will be allocated for this test
environment.

5.       A loaned IPCop router will serve as gateway and will be assigned a
static IP for access.

Phase 1 - Goal

Build a simple but functional network containing the elements necessary to
demonstrate proof of concept for this project.

                Timeframe

I expect a week or so to get these systems operational and then begin the
process of consolidating into a single network and configuring services for
use.

                Personally, I have the challenge of loading CentOS for the
first time, done Ubuntu, Debian Sarge and Mandrake/Mandriva a long time
ago.. but this one is new to me and I'll have to do it CLI..so might be fun.
So got some reading to do about the OS and how to install/update it.

I'll post more, as I make progress.

Sean Parsons