How to get a second networked printer to print?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:27:44 MST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> As previously reported yesterday, I finally solved the problem of getting
> my old HP laser printer to work again after disconnecting it from my old
> Linux box where it had been working fine and reconnecting it to my new
> Linux box (connected via parallel port).
>
> In the process, I "stumbled onto" discovering that I was also able to
> print to that printer from three other Linux computers, one wired, two
> wirelessly connected on our network.
>
> However, I have not yet been able to print to a second printer (HPPSC1200)
> that is USB connected to my wife's XP computer which is also wireless
> connected to the same network?
>
> What do I need to do to be able to send print jobs to that printer also?
>
> The Linux "Printerdrake" configurator found that "HPPSC1200" printer on
> the network, but when I send a print job to it, it doesn't print. 'lpstat'
> shows the print job spooled and waiting to print.
>
> At this link: http://www.upquick.com/linux/shareprinter.jpg I placed a
> screen capture showing the steps I tried to follow on my wife's XP box to
> try to get it to share the printer connected to it.

This shows two things of interest.

   - You could have simply clicked the link "I understand the risks ..." and
   not run the M$ wizard at all.  Your linux box should be able to see the
   windows printer after that although I would reboot windows before trying it.
   - the other dialog box is saying you have an ethernet port which is not
   connected,  If you have a working wireless connection on her computer, that
   is immaterial.

On your linux box you should be adding a network printer.  After it spends a
long time trying to find those, it may show up or you may need to click on
something to search the windows network depending on what linux you are
running.  Bit it should be able to find it assuming your wifes computer is
on, connected to the network, the printer is on, and your computer is
connected to the same network.

> And, below is the
> text of the two messages that followed that action:

> Internet connection settings:
> Connecting through another device or computer.
> Network settings:
> Computer description: Patti's HPPSC 1210xi
> Computer name:        COMPUTER-2945F2
> Workgroup name:        MSHOME
>
> File and printer sharing is turned on. The Shared Documents folder and
> any files or printers you have shared are now available for others to
> use.
>
> == THE LAST MESSAGE I SAW:
> You're almost done ...
> You need to run the Network Setup Wizard once on each of the computers
> on your network. To run the wizard on computers that are not running
> Win XP, you can use the Win XP CD or a Network Setup Disk.
> What do you want to do?
> ( ) Create a Network Setup Disk
> ( ) Use the Network Setup Disk I already have
> ( ) Use my Win XP CD
> (*) Just finish the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other
> computers
>
> == However ... it still doesn't work ...
>
> What do I need to do to get this to work?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson