Looking for a mentor/adviser

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Sat Jan 30 17:49:00 MST 2010

Craig,
	I don't doubt that people do it. I made several honest attempts to
research, understand and implement a Samba file server in and existing Small
Business Server 2003 network using LDAP and Kerberos. I was not able to make
it work, so I changed my plan and I asked if someone was willing to mentor
me through another try. Since I didn't need multiple opinions, I just need
to discover what I did wrong/what works, I wanted to avoid a large forum,
and I'm sorry if that seems to keep upsetting people.

Here's What happened:

	The How tos were really vague for adding Samba to anything but the
simplest windows network (NT4), Then most examples assumed I was building a
standalone server with the same functionality, not adding one. Based on my
research it looked like the process was straight forward and so I built a
Ubuntu server (LAMPS) and I set out to join it to my domain.

	I knew I needed LDAP and Kerberos so I tried to set those up with
Webmin, they attempted to alter my existing domain controller and things
went horribly wrong. I recovered my DC from backup and tried it a second
time using the CLI, but I was not able to find where settings were stored
and again, I tried to use the example files from Samba.org as a model, not
knowing what is needed or not, may have contributed to a second failure.
Again I recovered my Server form backup and changed tactics.

	I then tried to join a linux workstation to the domain with "like
wise" and it worked, sort of. Small Business Server isn't just Windows
Server 2003 with a new name. It adds Exchange and SQL has other scripted
functionality embedded into AD which is why you have to use it's wizards for
everything. After joining I started to have problems as AD was not properly
formatted when the workstation was joined. SBS uses the AD tables for more
than just domain membership, we have exchange, etc that rely on it. So Yes
it probably can be done, but it is not simple, nor is it intuitive, it is
specific to the type of environment. My AD environment isn't broken, it
required specific settings that couldn't be anticipated from the how to and
guides I found on Samba.org.

	I asked in IRC #Samba, #ubuntu-server, #Ubuntu-us-az, and #plugaz
several times for help to understand where I went wrong and nobody answered,
or if they did, I was told "Oh that is really tricky and I never did
it"..... Samba's documentation admits issues with non NT4 AD implementation
and promises to fix it in V4, but I wanted to talk to someone who had done
it and nobody answered.

Sean Parsons