How to get a second networked printer to print?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sat Jan 30 12:41:03 MST 2010

As previously reported yesterday, I finally solved the problem of getting
my old HP laser printer to work again after disconnecting it from my old
Linux box where it had been working fine and reconnecting it to my new
Linux box (connected via parallel port).

In the process, I "stumbled onto" discovering that I was also able to
print to that printer from three other Linux computers, one wired, two
wirelessly connected on our network.

However, I have not yet been able to print to a second printer (HPPSC1200)
that is USB connected to my wife's XP computer which is also wireless
connected to the same network?

What do I need to do to be able to send print jobs to that printer also?

The Linux "Printerdrake" configurator found that "HPPSC1200" printer on
the network, but when I send a print job to it, it doesn't print. 'lpstat'
shows the print job spooled and waiting to print.

At this link: http://www.upquick.com/linux/shareprinter.jpg I placed a
screen capture showing the steps I tried to follow on my wife's XP box to
try to get it to share the printer connected to it.  And, below is the
text of the two messages that followed that action:

Internet connection settings:
Connecting through another device or computer.
Network settings:
Computer description: Patti's HPPSC 1210xi
Computer name:        COMPUTER-2945F2
Workgroup name:        MSHOME

File and printer sharing is turned on. The Shared Documents folder and
any files or printers you have shared are now available for others to
use.

== THE LAST MESSAGE I SAW:
You're almost done ...
You need to run the Network Setup Wizard once on each of the computers
on your network. To run the wizard on computers that are not running
Win XP, you can use the Win XP CD or a Network Setup Disk.
What do you want to do?
( ) Create a Network Setup Disk
( ) Use the Network Setup Disk I already have
( ) Use my Win XP CD
(*) Just finish the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other computers

== However ... it still doesn't work ...

What do I need to do to get this to work?