Looking for a mentor/adviser

Matt Iavarone matt.iavarone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:44:05 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM,  <sean at theparsonsfamily.com> wrote:
> I know I am absolutely not interested in muddying the waters by trying
> this with virtualized systems, maybe after I can actually get them to
> work..... I posted previously that I have dedicated hardware to use.
>
> You are also describing a combined network and I have already abandoned
> that idea, so putting another windows server together is not going to be
> what I'm looking for. As far as I can tell Linux doesn't have an AD
> equivalent except Samba 4 which isn't out yet.... Samba 3.x destroyed 2
> domain controllers trying to join it..... Not going to try that again
> anytime soon....
>

> Sean Parsons
>> I know that personally if you have just a desktop i would start with 3
>> virtual machines.
>>
>> AD server (windows) Linux server for new AD and then A client workstation
>>
>> Virtualbox comes to mind as a nice portable interface for this. and it
>> is cross platform.
>>
>> issue with that is you will need about 4gb of ram to function on this
>> or there about.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM,  <sean at theparsonsfamily.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, How would I build this sandbox as a list discussion?
>>>
>>> Sean Parsons

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

Are you trying to replace, completely, your Windows based
infrastructure?  if so, there are directories for linux that can
replace AD, Cups or Samba printing, postfix for email (although you
can't get the collaboration that Exchange provides.  I guess you
should define they key parts that you are looking to replace.

What services do you need to provide to your users?  Sharepoint can be
replaced with a Wiki (http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/)
using MySQL backend.  What are your requirements?