using chown in the sudoers file

David david at damnetwork.net
Tue Jan 26 15:30:20 MST 2010

Ok, I'm at the point of frustration with this one.  I need to be able to give a specific user access to change ownership on all files in the web directory.

Ive added this to the /etc/sudoers file:

xxxx1234			ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/chown * /var/www/html/invites

Where xxxx1234 is the user I want to give access to.  However, after doing so, I get this:

wwwphx:/var/www/html/invites>sudo chown vendor web.gif
Sorry, user xxxx1234 is not allowed to execute '/bin/chown vendor web.gif' as root on server.name.com.

I've tried various variations of said sudoer entry, with none working except giving carte blance to the "chown" command, which I'm loathe to do.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
David

--