Need Help Editing Grub

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Jan 24 19:18:14 MST 2010

Mark,
I don't understand entirely the commands that kitepilot said to use either.

Your menu.lst file looks correct.

savedefault, along with the "default" setting listed earlier in
menu.lst, controls which kernel is used as the default. savedefault
means "use me to boot next time", so generally speaking, the computer
boots whichever OS was running last. Providing the "default" setting
corresponds to this behavior.

makeactive and chainloader commands are used with windows partitions.
makeactive makes the partition active (whatever that means, but windows
seems to require it), and chainloader, which effectively passes control
over to the windows loader program, not unlike what happens when the
bios passes control to grub. At least that's what I would guess.

If grub is not installed in the mbr of the 2nd drive, it needs to be. I
think that might be what kp was trying to get to. In order to install
grub on mbr of drive hda, issue the "grub" command at the cli. Then at
the grub prompt, enter the part after the prompt:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

If your OS is the 2nd partition on the drive, then you'd specify:
grub> root (hd0,1)

If your drive is hdb, then you'd use hd1 in place of hd0.

That drive would then run grub when it's booted.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

--
-Eric 'shubes'