serial port 56k modem

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:03:47 MST 2010

actually,
this is what I am looking for.
the 'winmodems" are software modems and don't exactly work very well in
linux or OS X (and
in OS X they don't work at all). I need either a USB or serial port
based external unit. if I could
find a pci based HARDWARE modem, I would, but I don't see those being
made for anything
very cheap.

btw, dialup modems are not exactly dead tech. they are often included on
most laptops (mac and pc)
which makes me wonder if the tech is all that dead. my mac laptop came
with a built-in modem and
I am trying to find an external for my OS X desktop (using linux source
code to compile the utilities I need).

The reason for this is that I have a phone line I dedicate for my own
use and wireless+voip is not really
an option in a lot of places (where a phoneline is still available). I'd
like to be able to access my lan (and route
to the net like an ISP) without having to maintain a separate dialup
account (which would cost money
I don't have). so yeah, for those like me, this tech is definitely not
dead yet.