Real WinXP partition running under VirtualBox... (answer)

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Wed Jan 13 07:33:42 MST 2010

Believe me, if _I_ can do it, it is not _THAT_ complicated...   :)

The 2 key points are:
1.- Create your profile in windoze (valid for XP, Vista is another ball of
wax and 7 is utterly unknown to me)

2.- Create the disk for VBox pointing to the windoze partition *NOT* the
entire hard drive (unless you have toes of Titanium).

Even though I found links with "most" of the instructions, most everything
was scattered all over the place and I didn't save the links.

I ran a quick search and found a few:
http://dotneverland.blogspot.com/2008/08/running-your-physical-windows-xp.ht
ml

There are too many variants as to point to a single page.  Many will talk
about users and permissions that you better don't follow blindly.  I had to
include the group "disk" to my user so I could access the  partition.
Ugly, I know, but you hack what you have to hack...   ;-)
ET

PS: Use dogpile.com for searches...