Real WinXP partition running under VirtualBox... (answer)

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Tue Jan 12 12:04:37 MST 2010

Hello PLUG!

Sometime ago I asked how to run a "hard" WinXP partition under VirtualBox.
Well, it ain't so difficult...   :)

This is what I did: (fine-grain steps are described elsewhere in the WEB)

Before shutting down Windoze, I created a new "profile".

I installed Kubuntu 9.10 in a flash-drive and, of course, installed
VirtualBox.

Then I booted from the "stick", started VBox, created a hard-drive for the
physical WinXP partition using commands available in the "User's manual"
(RTFM?!?!?!) and created a machine for XP attached to that drive.

Finally I booted WinXP in VBox, chose my "virtual" profile, installed
drivers and guest additions and now the XP machine is just an afterthought
where I get emails and IMs while working (secretly ;-) in my Linux
machine...   :)

I can also pull the stick and boot the machine from its normal boot record
and the only trace left is the profile and the guest additions (which were
not really needed)

WinXP performance sucks, but I hardly use that machine anyway...

I like it!   8)
THANKS!!!   :)
ET