Open-Hardware-Centric Group Forming in the Valley

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Jan 11 17:51:37 MST 2010

Am 11. Jan, 2010 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

I didn't mean to imply they were targetting a PLUG event. I think that's
how it came across to you. More below.

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>> Am 10. Jan, 2010 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:
>>> The reality is that there are now a great many different groups and
>>> events in the Phoenix valley.  Each of them could attract the some of
>>> the same sorts of people as the others.  And there are so many it is
>>> no longer possible to have a certain evening "reserved" for any one
>>> event.
>>
>> There are lots of days open. This is the second event they've scheduled
>> the same night as a nearby event that has now been going for over a
>> decade.
>
> No, there are not.
>
> Monday - As the beginning of the work week, no group chooses Monday
> because it kills attendance before you even start.  See Friday.
> Tuesday-Thursday - These are the much preferred days for an evening
> tech gathering.
> Friday - As the end of the work week, no group choose Friday because
> that's when everyone parties or whatever.  See Monday.
> Saturday-Sunday - These usually are for longer events that take several hours.
>
> So, we have three days in the middle of the week to have an evening
> meeting.  12 days per month.  Just 12.

Still lots of days. I think Mondays are still an option, but due to
holidays they might require flexibility.

> Stealthmode Partners: Second Monday of every month

See, that's a Monday. Guess they're just trying to hide :).

> And that is not all of the groups in Phoenix.  And that's ignoring
> more traditional business groups in which some of the PLUG audience
> may be involved.  Overlap will happen.  Just have to keep offering
> quality stuff and people will come if they are interested.

There can be effort to avoid overlap. I didn't say there hadn't been some
effort. Effort or not, the conflict is annoying.

>> I see it as annoying. Intentional conflicting times is not community
>> building.
>
> Intentional?  You're saying HeatSync Labs researched when PLUG was
> meeting and purposefully chose the same day just to conflict with
> PLUG.  I don't believe that at all.  They chose a day that worked for
> their needs and the venue schedule.

I'm saying they knew about the PLUG meeting and chose to schedule that
night anyway.

I wasn't implying that they looked at a list of nights with nearby PLUG
meetings and chose from that list.

Conflicting, not targetting :). Still annoying, but I wasn't attributing
malice.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.