Is there a faster/better way to ftp?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Jan 6 13:39:04 MST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:55 PM, Dale Farnsworth wrote:

>> Man, people still using FTP?
>> Are you aware of the FTP vulnerabilities?
>
> Do you use email?  Are you aware of email vulnerabilities?
>
> Do you use the web?  Are you aware of the vulnerabilities?
>
> FTP is no more vulnerable than other protocols.

The suggestion to use SFTP rather that FTP seems like very good advice
to me.  Email (at least IMAP, POP, etc) and web protocols can be
wrapped up in SSL, and SFTP is a similar idea.  Any application which
sends a password in cleartext is a problem.

You might say 'FTP is no more vulnerable than telnet'. :)

alex