command line image display options?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat Jan 2 16:47:24 MST 2010

To fill in the missing blanks... 'display' is part of the ImageMagick
suite of command-line image manipulation tools which goes waaaay back.
It *used* to be installed by default on most Linux distributions but I'm
not so sure it is anymore.  It's invaluable if you want to do any sort
of command-line or batch work on images, though, so it's highly
recommended.  If it's not installed by default, then it is *definitely*
going to be available in the primary software repo of any given desktop
distribution.

I had never heard of 'feh' before now.  Apparently it is a very
lightwight command-line style image viewer available on Ubuntu?  I've
never seen it on any other system but I suppose it might be available.
It looks pretty slick.  I don't know that I could recommend it as a
generic image viewer due to its newness and relative scarcity, though.