Possible ideas for a new box?

GK gm5729 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 19:12:52 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 18:20 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> I read a few conflicting requirements below, bear with me as I try to clarify:
> 1) 8G RAM minimum
> 2) Quad-core high-speed CPU
> 3) 1TB HDD
> 4) overclocked?  you talk about heat problems, which implies overclocking, since stock fans are usually ample for stock clocks.
> 5) Desktop case

I figure get as much RAM as possible 8 is a good number though 16 would
be cool. If I start drooling too much more I'll end up building a
Beowulf Cluster ;)  Quad cores get HOT! A dual core might have to be
what I'm going to be able to afford. --Especially on burnin/compiling
type loads for lengths of time. My dual core 32 bit is avg 48 C, under
compiling load it shoots up to usually no more than 61C. For an example
my netbook eee900 avgs 61C running, and I think it has gone to 70C a few
times under heavy load. TB hdds are cheap, I like space. Having an ssd
base os and I'm thinking K/Qmeu for testing will prevent having to
rebuild the box frequently. O/C no. SFF doesn't matter if desktop or
tower. This machine won't have any other toys.. gpus, cd/dvd, etc. I can
install on cdrom externally or usb flashie.

> Then you start conflicts:
> 1) <150W PSU (high-speed quad core CPU's require over 150W just for the CPU, a 500W PSU is a minimum requirement due to split-rail power distribution, and for Core i7 750W is pretty much minimum).
> 2) ITX board; these don't support high-speed quad core CPU's, and most can't handle more than 2-4G RAM.
> 3) mini case; you can't usually stuff a high-speed MB in these and still get decent cooling, if you can fit a high-speed MB in at all.
>
> I'm going to assume you either want 2 different machines, or the first 5 requirements are the primary requirements and the conflicting 3 are wish-list.

Nope not 2 machines this is a testing box. I owned a Shuttle K45 it ran
2gb RAM, with 160GB hdd and a dual core 64 bit I believe. This box
ventilated well, there where ways to mod it if needed to create more
cooling power. It had a 100W PSU and ran at 33-55W under load. This box
stayed cooler than my laptop, so low 40'sC... I'll look at the urls.
Thanks

VampirePenguin

--
NOTICE:
GNUPG validated with key 0xD537A8E1. Questionable