Installfest this Saturday - PLUG website dead?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Feb 28 15:34:16 MST 2010

On 02/28/2010 02:27 PM, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> Most ISP and commercial DNS providers, when a domain name isn't found, do not return the mandated a NXDOMAIN response.
> Instead they return the IP address of a server that just dumps a page full of ads based on the (presumably mistyped) domain name.
> The immediate problem is that a completely innocent typo can then result in ads for almost anything (which can be *really* bad if a kid is doing the typing).
>
> It's a dirty trick to try to turn DNS into a profit center, and I find it completely despicable.

There is also the completely annoying side effect that your simple typo,
that is probably only off by one letter, that could previously be easily
corrected, now has to be completely re-typed from scratch.   For that
reason alone, I would like to strangle the guy at cox who's bright idea
it was to hijack typos.   It now means that when I'm trying to get
someone to type in an address over the phone and they miss type it, we
get to start completely over again... Yeay!.   It was already super fun
getting them to not automatically add WWW to the beginning of the address.

Brian Cluff