Installfest this Saturday - PLUG website dead?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Feb 28 12:10:34 MST 2010

Pretty much all DNS servers forward requests upstream.  The critical configuration is what is upstream.
If you want true results, the safest is to set the root nameserver anycasts as the upstream, but that's not nice, as it adds unwarranted load to the root servers, which are a limited global resource.

You can connect any system (DNS in IpCop, NAT router, local DNS server, or just the resolv.conf) to a variety of DNS services.  The tricky part is finding a reliable and trustworthy resolver besides the root nodes.

Most people connect to their ISP because DHCP sets it up.  If you're willing to type it in, though, there are several anycast DNS services available.
Google, for instance, runs a lighting fast public DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 anycast that returns absolutely compliant results (including NXDOMAIN for failed lookups, instead of false results).

There are many other open resolvers.  Most do the same redirect-failure-to-ads trick that Cox is doing now, however.