Installfest this Saturday - PLUG website dead?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Feb 28 11:50:44 MST 2010

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 10:34 -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> Running your own caching resolver is pretty trivial on RHEL/Fedora. Just
>> need to install the caching-nameserver package (which pulls in deps when
>> you use yum to install it). You then need to have:
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>> first in your /etc/resolv.conf file so it gets used. If your computer is
>> directly attached to the cox modem, that'll be a pain as dhcp resets
>> your resolv.conf file. If you're using cox, you really should have a
>> router with nat between your computer and the cox modem though, so your
>> computer isn't sitting on a public address.
>>
>> I don't know off hand how to set up a local resolver on Ubuntu. I don't
>> really need one myself because my IPCop is my resolver. ;)
> ----
> in the configuration of your network adaptor, you can turn off DHCP
> client changes to /etc/resolv.conf
>
> PEERDNS = no
>
> various ways to accomplish this depending upon whether you are using
> NetworkManager or not, which distro, etc.

Sweet.

> I thought ipcop provided dns forwarding to the DNS servers set up within
> ipcop and didn't actually provide any DNS resolution by itself so if you
> use DHCP on ipcop on a Cox connection, you are back on Cox's name
> servers.
>
> Craig

That occurred to me after I posted the message. You're right. IPCop
alone wouldn't typically fix the problem. I guess I'm not seeing the
problem because I'm on DSL. ;)

For those on cox, might I suggest using opendns resolvers?
208.67.222.220
208.67.222.222
You'll need to do the "PEERDNS = no" thing to keep your settings from
getting wiped out.

Thanks Craig. :)

--
-Eric 'shubes'