OT: go-default screens.

Shawn Dowler shawn.dowler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 23:00:05 MST 2010

Assuming you don't also have vertical black bars on the left and the
right, then it is because your TV has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (also
called 1.78:1) and most movies are filmed at even wider aspect ratios
(1.85:1 or 2.35:1 are both very common) so there are still black bars
on the top and the bottom because the movie is wider than your HDTV.
This is normal.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-files/ivideo-formats.gif

Anything wider than 1.78:1 will have black bars on the top and the bottom.
Anything narrower than 1.78:1 will have black bars on the left and the
right. The only ways around this are either stretching (yuck!) and
cropping (eww!).

Shawn Dowler
Information Designer
shawn.dowler at gmail.com