How to get back to 32bit Kernel in Unbuntu

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 15:44:02 MST 2010

I was having trouble with my system failing to read disk formats, USB
flashdrives, and finally CDROMs, so I built a fresh Kernel from scratch,
getting the source from Kernel.Org and running menuconfig. But afterwards,
my Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT video drivers would not work. When I posted on
Nvidia, they said that there is no support for creating a Kernel Video
Driver Module on a 64bit kernel (AMD Athelon 64) running a 32bit user space.
Now I am stuck with not knowing how to replace the 64 bit kernel with a new
32 bit Kernel. When I try booting into any of the older Kernels, it
eventually fails, fails to establish X windows, or runs into a Kernel Panic,
so going backwards does not seem to be an option. But when I reload a new
Kernel and compile it, it just comes out 64 bit again. And I can not find
anyway using the Ubuntu get software or Update procedure to get a standard
Kernel. They only seem to offer something strange called Batman or dbd8d or
a RAID kernel.

   There must be some fairly straight forward to get Kernel and user space
back in sync, I just don't seem to be able to figure it out. Any
suggestions?

Mike