ubuntu 9.10

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Wed Feb 24 16:22:15 MST 2010

Jim March wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> when I tried to start Ruby it told me to apt-get it. Unfortunately, I do not
>> have internet for that box.
>>

> Michael, the thing about FOSS software is, because it's free nobody
> spends a lot of time nicely sticking everything on CD.  Not with most
> distros anyways and certainly not on a single-CD distro like Ubuntu.
>
> If you want to load software, you need to temporarily hook it up to the 'net.
>
> The other option is to go with a multi-CD (or DVD) distro that
> includes more stuff in the initial install.  Even then, I dunno if
> Ruby is going to be there.  "Bigger" distros include Fedora last I
> checked, and OpenSuse.  But again, this still won't eliminate having
> to hook it up to get more code.
>
> Jim

1) Doesn't Ruby run on Windows?
2) Cant you get the packages on Windows for Ubuntu, and put the packages
on the local Ubuntu machine and apt-get locally?
3) Can't you boot the Windows machine to Ubuntu (for example) using a
thumb drive and sneaker the needed packages over to the target machine?
4) Cant you put a cheap network card ($10-25 or donation.  10 base T
would be fine.) in the Windows machine and bridge/proxy the Ubuntu
machine (maybe not with @#$% crippled Windows desktop)?  Now the Ubuntu
machine has web access.