Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Tue Feb 23 16:36:16 MST 2010

On 2/22/10 12:29 AM, Tuna wrote:
> Excerpts from Gerald Thurman's message of Sun Feb 21 09:08:04 -0700 2010:
>> Learn the command-line using BASH, then use BASH as your first programming
>> language. The transition is seamless. BASH provides the three things you
>> need to write a structured program:  sequence, selection, repetition. In
>> addition, it has functions and the array data structure. From BASH move onto
>> C. Learn the entire language along with most of the STDC Library (it's one
>> of the greatest libraries of all-time). After C, the paths you can take are
>> plentiful.
>>
>> The simplest hello world program I've encountered (assume $ is the PS1
>> prompt)...
>>
>> $ echo hello, world
>>

> I wasn't going to join in on this thread, but after that, I just have to.
>
> BASH is an excellent tool and a beautiful language. I used it to make my
> RSVP/birthday card thing at http://earlgrey.is-a-chef.net:1992
>
> It's just BASH CGI being served up by lighttpd on OpenBSD. I love me.
>
> So, um... learn Ruby, dude.

Heh... I actually created a web server in BASH a year or so ago.  I was
more just to see if I could do it vs making something useful, but it
shows that BASH is a lot more powerful than people give it credit for.

I can't say I'd recommend it as a beginners language, though.  It's not
going to teach very many good habits :-)