Starling Wireless

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:52:00 MST 2010

Definitely you want to try WPA/WPA2.  There are varying implementations of
WEP that are not compatible.  I once had a client where there were two
people in the house with two laptops and they had two wireless routers.
Using WEP I could get one laptop to work with each router and the other
laptop would work with the other.  But there was no way to use a single AP
and WEP and have both laptops connect.

Turns out this evolution was a result of early WEP sending out enough
information that breaking the encrytion was totally trivial.  So the
"standard" was changed which did not help hardware already in the field.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> i would post on system76 boards, they are really on top of this sort
> of thing, and have you tried WPA?
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Kevin Fries <kfries6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem with that is this: I am not see any of the problems in those
> > threads.  They are basically complaining about the driver causing three
> > different problems.  My wireless shows up (problem 1), my wireless will
> > connect (problem 2), and finally, as long as encryption is not turned on,
> it
> > will browse the Internet all day long (problem 3).
> > Here is a test:
> >   - Disconnect from wired network
> >     -> Network Manager goes off line
> >   - On my cell phone (E71) app->Installed->JoikuSpot
> >   - Allow sharing your Internet Connection = yes
> >   - AT&T Internet
> >   - Add JoikuSpot to connection groups = yes, Default
> >     -> JoikuSpot started on phone
> >   - Wait a few moments for laptop to see phone
> >     -> Since it has connected this way before, it automatically connects
> >   - Open Firefox and browse to a random page not visited before
> >     -> success!!!
> > This is not a driver, or wireless card issue.  The wireless hardware is
> > working perfectly.  Security is WEP, not WPA/TKIP, so it works.  It will
> > also connect when there is no encryption.  This is, as I said in my
> original
> > post, a problem that used to be solved by installing wpa_supplicant, but
> > that is already installed.  There is something else... Ubuntu based, that
> is
> > causing it, the hardware is fine.  Not System76's fault as far as I can
> see.
> > So, I ask again, anyone have any (other) ideas on what could be causing
> > this?
> > Kevin
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Huh.  OK, we're dealing with a Realtek RTL8187B chipset.  So the next
> step
> >> is to see if anybody is having issues with it, googling:
> >>
> >> ubuntu karmic 8187B
> >>
> >> Sure enough:
> >>
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1194838
> >>
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765671
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/RealtekRTL8187b
> >>
> >> http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8445810
> >>
> >> Looks like a total mess.  If it were me, assuming I was running 32bit
> >> Karmic, I'd consider trying the NDISWrapper instructions (with link to a
> >> Windows driver) in the top-most item above.
> >>
> >> The next question is, why is System76 shipping a WiFi chipset with Linux
> >> drivers that are known to be flakier than a box of corn flakes?
> >>
> >> Assuming your WiFi card inside the laptop is in a mini-PCI or
> mini-express
> >> slot, I'd complain to System76 and demand something based on an Atheros
> or
> [...]

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson