Starling Wireless

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:46:46 MST 2010

Huh.  OK, we're dealing with a Realtek RTL8187B chipset.  So the next step
is to see if anybody is having issues with it, googling:

ubuntu karmic 8187B

Sure enough:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/RealtekRTL8187b

http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8445810

Looks like a total mess.  If it were me, assuming I was running 32bit
Karmic, I'd consider trying the NDISWrapper instructions (with link to a
Windows driver) in the top-most item above.

The next question is, why is System76 shipping a WiFi chipset with Linux
drivers that are known to be flakier than a box of corn flakes?

Assuming your WiFi card inside the laptop is in a mini-PCI or mini-express
slot, I'd complain to System76 and demand something based on an Atheros or
Intel chipset that works right out of the box.

Jim