Who Wants High Speed Fiber Connections in PHX?

Frank francis.earl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 01:01:14 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Frank <francis.earl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It really isn't any different to ISP's knowledge of our online activities
> > now... I think its actually better since Google is fully upfront about
> their
> > access to our online activities!
> > Privacy is important, but on the internet, we've never had it... I don't
> > really understand the uproar directed at Google, if anything, its better
> > that so much is stored in one place... the more there is, the harder it
> is
> > to track unless they have good reason. If you're doing nothing illegal on
> > the internet, I don't see why people worry?
>
> If it were financially feasible to do so, it sounds like you would
> have no problem with a having a police officer follow you and watch
> you 24/7.  After all, you would not do anything illegal, right?

We already have cameras on us almost anywhere we go, FBI also can tap your
phone for a wide variety of reasons. Your television habits are tracked too,
else how do they get ratings? I don't see people stopping their use of
phones and TV, or not going on freeways or to public places due to privacy?
Internet privacy is very similar in many ways to both of these, unless we're
doing something wrong, we know they're not singling us out.

Your statement even points this out, it simply isn't feasible to track and
monitor everything each person does online, there is simply too much data!
With it all going to one source, it makes this even less feasible. AdSense
and friends use your data in certain algorithms, but there isn't an actual
person taking time out of their day to see what news articles you read today
or what you downloaded yesterday.

I understand most people are much more private than me, but I personally
worry more about things like censorship compared to privacy... I simply
don't have much to hide.