Need some help for a special Installfest

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:44:04 MST 2010

I like it too.  Though I wish we had thought of this earlier in the week.  I
had intended to make a form tomorrow afternoon which was part data
collection from the applicants to provide us with some information and part
as a checklist for the volunteers for the actual install.  I will put some
thought into amending it as you guys suggested.

With less than 36 hours before we start, I can't see preparing a
presentation / class but I can see making some notes to drive an ad hoc
one.  I also don't know what our constraints might be without talking to
Yvvone who asked us to do this.  I am sure she is open to suggestion but we
are still limited by room schedules and how many people are willing to hang
around for a class/demo at the end of the session.

Here is my proposal for this one:

   - give people (applicants) a handout and a form when they come in
   - applicants need to set up their system, read the handout and fill out
   what they can of the form
   - While they are doing that, we circulate among the folks and help them.
   Perhaps one of us might give an intro and answer questions while the others
   circulate, but since people will probably not all be there for the start
   that might not work well.
   - We start doing the installs when we have adequate information for each
   one and answer user questions as we go and move on when neither the system
   nor the applicant needs us.  We leave the form with the system to help the
   same or another volunteer pick up the install when needed.  (I am not
   confident about this part).
   - IF there is time and IF people are willing to stay, one of us can do an
   ad hoc class/lab about getting started.  Alternatively we could offer to
   hold a separate class specifically for that purpose on some other day.  I
   could do that one.  Yvvone will have to schedule it.

I would not be comfortable trying to talk the group through doing their own
installs because I know from the interviews we did at the Mesa Regal Expo
that some installs will be problematical and many of the applicants would
not be willing to attempt it.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:

> I like this idea. A better learning environment.
>
> Stephen wrote:
> > This i think might be a good idea... create a small form for them to
> > fill out for username computer name all the non-secure stuff, so we
> > can give them an idea of what they might want to think about and then
> > with them all up and running make it a class/install-fest even with
> > them installing it themselves and having 3-5 people moving about
> > helping with issues. and in the future this will let them reinstall or
> > pass on to others.
> >
> > even set up the form to record information they might need in the
> future...
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net> wrote:
> >> Should we try to do a little presentation after the installs are
> >> (mostly) done that people can follow along on their new systems?
> >>
> >> Dazed_75 wrote:
> >

> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson