Why does 'ssh' and 'scp' work to one and not another?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 11 17:32:05 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 15:02 -0700, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> == craig white wrote:
> > check the system logs (secure & messages) on '73'
> > and you should find your answer.
>
> I did examine those logs (17,000 lines in the last 4 days)
> but I don't know what to look for.
>
> > I suppose if you really wanted the answer to that
> > question you would have checked the logs like I told you.
>
> I've uploaded those two logs (secure & messages) here:
>   http://www.upquick.com/linux/temp/secure73
>   http://www.upquick.com/linux/temp/messages73
----
let me see now... you don't want to look at 17,000 lines but I should?

Why don't you take this as an opportunity to learn how to solve
problems? For example, how to use logs to troubleshoot...

run as root

echo "----- \n Marking my place in the logs \n -----" \
 >> /var/log/secure
echo "----- \n Marking my place in the logs \n -----" \
 >> /var/log/messages

then try to login

then look at the logs - after the marks you just made.

Craig

believed to be clean.