Lookin at Qwest DSL Service

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Feb 11 15:55:37 MST 2010

keith smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just moved into a house in South Chandler and when Cox configured my Internet and phone, they had to setup a temp connection.  This consists of a coax running through my back yard down the side of my house and into the junction box.  Funny thing is the box that services the 5 housed in my cluster is all of 2 feet from the junction box into my house.
>
> I'm not making this up.  When Cox engineered this sub-division they made a mistake and put in a 4 node connection.  The tech that came out to followup told me they could not add me to that box.
>
> They have to connect me to the box that serves another set of houses.  This requires running a conduit about 18 inches underground along the sidewalk (from behind my house) and under my driveway to the junction box on the other side of my house.  I was told it would take around 6 weeks to get the permit to do so.  It is unclear how much longer it will take after that.  I was told they are putting a rush on this project.
>
> I work out of my house and would like to find an additional solution. I like Cox.  I've had cox service for maybe 6 years now.  I had been with Qwest and had DSL for a while.  Liked them also.
>
> I'm thinking that maybe I'll try qwest or look at that as a backup plan.
>
> I'm wondering about what DSL routers are being used and the quality.  When I had DLS last I had a Cisco rounter that would overheat. I had little problem with mine. The Cisco was nice in that it was programmable.  Then I had an ActionTec (sp) , however that would not allow for port forwarding even though it was a feature.
>
> Looks like DSL speed is way up.  Any input or suggestions on Qwest DSL?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Keith

I had cox at home for many years after it was first available. When I moved
and cox tried billing me for my old hookup and my new one at the same
time, I got po'd and switched to DSL. I've had nothing but trouble with
Cust Svc from both companies. No problem really with the technology
though. I have a newer actiontec presently, and I believe it allows port
forwarding, but I've configured it to bridge to my ipcop firewall. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'