Lookin at Qwest DSL Service

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 15:44:13 MST 2010

Hi,

I just moved into a house in South Chandler and when Cox configured my Internet and phone, they had to setup a temp connection.  This consists of a coax running through my back yard down the side of my house and into the junction box.  Funny thing is the box that services the 5 housed in my cluster is all of 2 feet from the junction box into my house.

I'm not making this up.  When Cox engineered this sub-division they made a mistake and put in a 4 node connection.  The tech that came out to followup told me they could not add me to that box.

They have to connect me to the box that serves another set of houses.  This requires running a conduit about 18 inches underground along the sidewalk (from behind my house) and under my driveway to the junction box on the other side of my house.  I was told it would take around 6 weeks to get the permit to do so.  It is unclear how much longer it will take after that.  I was told they are putting a rush on this project.

I work out of my house and would like to find an additional solution. I like Cox.  I've had cox service for maybe 6 years now.  I had been with Qwest and had DSL for a while.  Liked them also.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll try qwest or look at that as a backup plan.

I'm wondering about what DSL routers are being used and the quality.  When I had DLS last I had a Cisco rounter that would overheat. I had little problem with mine. The Cisco was nice in that it was programmable.  Then I had an ActionTec (sp) , however that would not allow for port forwarding even though it was a feature.

Looks like DSL speed is way up.  Any input or suggestions on Qwest DSL?

Thanks in advance!
Keith