PXE booting

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:11:35 MST 2010

I've built my second PXE boot server and wanted to test the various boots.
So far I have found only two of my machines that support PXE booting and I
do not wish to disturb them.  I've tested 7 other machines that seem to have
no such ability.  One of them shows in BIOS that you can include the LAN as
a boot device but it does not seem to use the PXE boot of the PXE server
that is giving it its IP address with DHCP.  Since that works for another
machine plugged into the same switch, I conclude that it expects some other
protocol for booting from the net.

1) Does anyone know a way to ADD the ability to a machine to PXE boot from
the LAN (e.g. adding some ethernet card)?
2) Are there network boot protocols other than PXE?

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson