SAMBA PDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 8 23:09:00 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 05:13 +0000, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Another package I have used in mixed LinuxWindows environment is
> GOsa2.
>
> It uses an LDAP backend, and has a pretty nice front end.
----
not even close to the same type of thing as Active Directory or a
Windows Domain Controller.

Gosa (or however you write it), is a highly opinionated GUI account
management tool for LDAP. Not a bad tool but actually requires things
like an LDAP server and other authentication and authorization
mechanisms whereas AD is a start to finish authentication and
authorization implementation. I remember slamming my head against the
wall installing PHP 5.3 just to play with it. I thought it was cool but
if I was going to have some packages mandatory DSA jammed down my
throat, I would rather go with FreeIPA and get some real features.

Craig

believed to be clean.